Sir John Throckmorton was a retainer and administrator for the Beauchamp Earls of Warwick. He served in France, and was appointed to positions in the treasury. Throckmorton died in 1445 and is buried in Fladbury Church, Worcestershire.
Biography from the Dictionary of National Biography.
THROCKMORTON or THROGMORTON, Sir JOHN (d. 1445), under-treasurer of England, was the son of Thomas Throgmorton of Fladbury, Worcestershire, a retainer of Thomas Beauchamp, earl of Warwick [q. v.], by his wife Agnes Besford. According to Dugdale he was ‘brought up to the study of lawes and was afterwards of the king’s council.’ Probably in Henry IV’s reign he became a clerk in the treasury, and in 3 Henry V (1415–16) he was granted lands in Fladbury for his services (Cal. Rot. Pat. in Turri Londin. p. 264 b). In 1417–1418 he was in attendance on Richard de Beauchamp, earl of Warwick [q. v.], at Caen, of which the earl had been appointed governor on its surrender to Henry V. He was elected knight of the shire for Worcestershire in the parliament summoned to meet on 19 Nov. 1414, and was returned for the same constituency to those summoned on 2 Dec. 1420, 9 Nov. 1422, and 12 May 1432. In 1426 he was made a commissioner for raising a loan in Warwickshire. In 1431 he was appointed one of the Earl of Warwick’s attorneys during his absence abroad, and in the same year was retained as a member of Warwick’s council for life with a salary of twenty marks. On the earl’s death in 1439 Throgmorton was made one of his executors and joint custodian of his castles and manors during his son’s minority. In 1433 he was made ‘surveyor of the administration of the effects’ of Edmund, earl of March (Rot. Parl. iv. 471). In 1434 and again in 1440 he served on the commission of the peace in Warwickshire. In the latter year he was styled chamberlain of the exchequer and under-treasurer of England (Nicolas, Acts of the Privy Council, v. 81). He died in 1445; in accordance with his will, dated at London on 12 April in that year, he was buried in the church of St. John the Baptist, Fladbury, where there is an inscription to his memory (Nash, Worcestershire, i. 452). He married, in 1409, Alianora, daughter and coheiress of Sir Guy Spiney or De la Spine of Coughton, Warwickshire, which thus passed into the possession of the Throgmorton family. By her he had two sons, Thomas and John, and seven daughters. Thomas (d. 1472) succeeded to the estates, and was great-grandfather of Sir Nicholas Throgmorton [q. v.] [Cal. Rot. Patentium in Turri Londin. pp. 264, 282; Rot. Parl. iv. 471, v. 77; Acts of the Privy Council, ed. Nicolas, iv. 325, v. 81; Palgrave’s Antient Kalendars and Inventories, p. 158; Dugdale’s Warwickshire, ii. 749–51; Nash’s Worcestershire; Official Return of Members of Parl.; Burke’s Extinct Baronetcies; Colvile’s Warwickshire Worthies.]
Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 56
Throckmorton, John by Albert Frederick Pollard
Fladbury Church, Worcestershire. Geni.com